Home » » The Story of The Urns

The Story of The Urns

A while back I mentioned the urns that sit on my front porch and alluded to the story behind how I came to acquire them. Now, you probably think I forgot about that, didn't you? Come on, admit it, you did, didn't you?? Nuuuuuuu, just had other things to post and had to squeeze this one in, chickadees.

Several years ago I was on the County Board of Guardians for my county. We didn't have too many clients but we each took our share. I got a lady who we'll call Gertrude.

Gertrude was a sweet, feisty old lady who came from Europe. Her family lived on her land in a trailer home a distance behind her home. She resisted going into an assisted living home for a long time but it got to the point where there was no choice.
(This is always a hard choice for the court appointed guardians also! Her daughter and son-in-law didn't want to do anything but live on the property -rent free! - and wait for her to........well, you get the idea.) We put her in it for her own safety, but let me say now that after a little while you could not have gotten her out of that assisted living home. She loved it and I knew the owners as they were my neighbors and one of the small town's doctors. Lovely place; caring staff.

Anyway, we had to go through all her belongs and do something with them and the house. Trust me, this isn't easy. (I'll never be a guardian for anyone again!) So we did. On a trip out to her country home I noticed those old concrete urns and inquired about them. They were just going to throw them out so I asked if I could have them or pay for them. I was told they weren't worth anything and to just take them.

So one afternoon I decided to go out and pick them up. Those things weigh a TON! I could barely lift them into the truck. There were 5 of them! (Also I have faux painted them since then giving them a "verdigris patina" of looking old.) It was a large country lot and I got out of the car in the front of the house and proceeded to load each one into the trunk of my car - all 5 of them. Going around to the back of the house to check on things, I saw the daughter's trailer and some dogs back there. I didn't realize there were DOGS back there. Well, they started barking and running toward me! You have never ever in your life seen a chick haul her buns outta someplace so fast as I did that day!!! I ran around to the front, slammed the trunk of the car, opened the car door and jumped in the driver's seat just in the nick of time!!!!!!! (One urn broke that day and 2 more broke through the years.) I thought I was going to have a heart attack or be an "afternoon snack" for sure. They acted vicious, let me tell you! Didn't know, but didn't take the chance. ;-)

I resigned quickly thereafter from the board figuring I probably wouldn't get a 2nd chance to out run hungry dogs. :-)

~*~

I'm really getting behind in awards so here's another one to me from thefarmchick. She always has some scrumptious recipe from her farm kitchen and she truly is a farmer's wife. She's also very cute! ;-) Thank you kindly, my sweet chick.
The Rules for the Smile Award are as follows:
1. The recipient must link back to the awards creator (It's right on the award) (And I apologize but I simply CANNOT read the creator of this award on the icon!)
2. You must post these rules if you receive the award.
3. You must choose 5 people to receive the award after receiving it yourself.
4. You must fit the characteristics of the recipient of the award (see below.)
5. You must post the characteristics of a recipient.
6. You must create a post sharing your win with others.
7. You must thank your giver.
Characteristics for the Smile Award:1. Must display a cheerful attitude. (not necessarily at all times--we are all human).
2. Must love one another.
3. Must make mistakes.
4. Must learn from others.
5. Must be a positive contributor to blog world.
6. Must love life.
7. Must love kids.
***

So my recipients are:

1. Katie of rosebreezeboutique because Katie has just recently become a grandmother and is now experiencing the joys of that. She's a "spark" on the landscape of life.

2. Lorena of rosechicfriends because she absolutely adores kids.

3. Bertie of auntmayscottage because she is always in motion and is a tiny little whirlwind!

4. Alaura of cottagerose because she just sounds like she is always cheery and I love her name.....quite unusual. Very alluring! ;-) :-)

5. Joyce of justifiedjourney because she's Rachel's mother and any mother that could produce a child the caliber of Rachel is allll riiiiiight in my book! That is one awesome little 14 yr old chickadee! I'd love to adopt her as my granddaughter but Mandy might be a bit jealous since she is my only granddaughter among the 3 boys! Hah.....


Powered by Blogger.