Home » » Job musings and then my weekly photo update

Job musings and then my weekly photo update

Though I’ve been general manager of Jubilee Furniture for almost five years, sometimes I’m still surprised that this is what I do full-time. Interestingly (or not so interesting – but I couldn’t start the sentence with “though” again so had to come up with a different word), I have always loved furniture – and for a brief period when I was young and delusional, thought I’d become an interior designer –but I’ve never been into resale.

I have been concerned about the environment since the 1970s when I first learned that aerosol spray cans were responsible for creating a hole in the ozone (technically it was the chlorofluorocarbons – or CFCs – which were responsible not the actual aerosol cans) and promptly came home and threw out my mother’s can of spray starch (she’s never forgiven me) and every can of deodorant in the house (we were a wrinkly, smelly family for a while).  So, the whole recycling part of what we do at Jubilee Furniture is definitely part of who I am.

And then I love people.  I love their stories, their history and their capacity to heal from horrible things.  I love their courage and strength in the face of insurmountable odds.  I love their hopes and dreams for the future.  I love their concern for others and willingness to share the little they have.  I love their smiles and laughter.  I love their youth.  I love their wrinkles and every gray hair.  I love their spirit.   

So, though there are times when my job is hard – it’s actually a very good fit for how I’m wired and what my passions are.  I’m crazy fortunate.  Remind me of this when my face is red and sweaty and my hair is standing on end – ‘k.

Speaking of hot and sweaty (since the warehouse isn’t air-conditioned), Jubilee Furniture is open today (Friday) from 1 to 8 and tomorrow (Saturday) from 9 to 4.  Unless you’re heading out of town for the long Labor Day weekend – sure hope you’ll stop in.  Here’s some of what was donated this week that you’ll find!

JFC 09-02-11 001

this is a very nice Room & Board sofa but has a couple of issues – there’s a seam which runs right up the middle of the piece and there’s a 3” to 4” rip in the seam on the seat cushion (plenty of give in the material would allow you to fix said rip fairly easily blithely says the non-sewer) and then there’s some rub/worn places – priced $165

JFC 09-02-11 002

fine chair – looks like someone’s first not bad re-upholstery job – priced $45

JFC 09-02-11 003JFC 09-02-11 004JFC 09-02-11 005

amazing ROLLING pleather chair priced $75

JFC 09-02-11 006

Broyhill chair and ottoman priced &85

JFC 09-02-11 007

black pleather sofa for $75; coffee table priced $25

JFC 09-02-11 008JFC 09-02-11 009JFC 09-02-11 010

okay – I’ve spent too much time online trying to find this designer and I can’t!  Please help!  It’s a fabulous retro rocker – photo top right shows how the piece has been reinforced (it’s still a little wobbly); cushions have wire frame (not the most comfortable) and it has this FF signed and numbered label on it.  I’ve put a price tag but no price on the rocker because I honestly don’t know what a fair price would be!  Please give me some advice!

JFC 09-02-11 011

the outdoor furniture in this section of the store has been reduced – so if you’re looking for some bargains we got ‘em

JFC 09-02-11 012JFC 09-02-11 013

sofa – both ends recline – priced only $30 due to smoke smell; love seat – also both sides recline – priced $20 again due to cigarette smoke smell

JFC 09-02-11 014JFC 09-02-11 015

great lines on this Pottery Barn sofa – not great condition to the upholstery, stains, pilling – probably needs either a slipcover or to be re-upholstered – still an excellent value at $60

JFC 09-02-11 016

Flexsteel love seat for $55

JFC 09-02-11 017

never seen anything like this piece of furniture – it rocks AND reclines – all for $55

JFC 09-02-11 018

yay for bunk beds!  Set includes: all the wood pieces (see the wonderful pull out drawers under the lower bunk?) and two bunky boards (thin box spring used on bunk beds) all for $125 (ladder needs some reinforcing).  Twin mattresses sold separately (sorry, I forgot what price I put on them!)

JFC 09-02-11 019

wee makeup bench priced $15

JFC 09-02-11 020JFC 09-02-11 021

six cool contemporary black lacquer chairs with leather seats made in Italy – priced $150 for all six

JFC 09-02-11 022

great older dresser with five drawers – lovely burl wood fronts – priced $125

JFC 09-02-11 023

Thomasville table, one leaf, six chairs and table pads – all in great condition – priced $265 for the set

JFC 09-02-11 024JFC 09-02-11 025

brown Room and Board over-sized chair priced $125; IKEA coffee table for $35; matching Room and Board sofa priced $195

JFC 09-02-11 026

lovely two pieced white hutch priced $65

JFC 09-02-11 027

very nice one piece white painted corner hutch priced $85 and we have two matching

JFC 09-02-11 028

spot clean this three pieced gray patterned sectional and it’ll be great – priced $125

Thanks for stopping in, dear reader!  Oh, and you might be glad to know that though CFCs were banned, deodorant was soon made without them and though I might be hot and sweaty, I shouldn’t be smelly!

God’s peace, grace and love to you!

Powered by Blogger.